Keys to uncovering your Lead Generation process problem?
Lead Generation is the cornerstone of any growth-oriented business. Many that we work with don’t really realize they have a problem. Let’s take a look at what works, what doesn’t, and how to get your lead generation process in shape.
Let’s start with the most common pain points we see our clients experiencing around B2B lead generation. One of the biggest roadblocks to a smooth lead gen process is a lack of communication and respect between marketing and sales teams. Without a solid process in place, a lot of finger pointing and lack of accountability occurs. The lead-related issues that come out of this situation include:
- Not enough leads coming in
- Poor quality of leads
- Low or no ROI
It’s time to close the Lead Gap.
The blame for a faulty B2B lead generation process doesn’t lie solely on the marketing and sales teams. Undoubtedly, it all starts with how those teams are being managed…and the processes that have been set for generation leads. When auditing a client’s lead generation process, we often witness these managing missteps that can cause large gaps.
Interested in making sure Marketing and Sales are aligned?
Delegating Lead Generation to the Sales Team.
While it may seem to be the logical move, this isn’t always the right way to manage your lead gen process. When you ask the sales team to create the leads and close the deal, it’s adding pressure—and paving the way for disappointment.
So why isn’t it ideal to put B2B lead generation program in the hands of sales? Common challenges you may experience are:
- Lack of initiative from frustrated employees
- Inadequate or no training
- Accountability issues
- Lack of transparency and visibility for marketing into sales and vice versa
No Process in Place
If your team doesn’t have a set of protocols in place for the lead generation, you’re not going to be seeing a consistent level of ROI. From the aforementioned rift between marketing and sales to the loss of qualified leads, lack of process is the enemy of lead generation. By creating a set of best practices and having everyone on the same page, your program will flow smoothly, allowing for continual optimization and ROI growth.
Campaign vs. Project Focus
Are they providing continuity with a full campaign or are they doing a lot of one-offs, with no cohesion.
Interested in Learning More?
Are you interested in learning more about what it takes to identify, and solve tough lead generation problems? Get in touch with the Lead Generation experts to get your pipeline flowing again. We’d be happy to give you a free 15-minute phone consultation and answer any questions you may have.
What are the next steps toward a bigger, better Lead Generation process?
So how do you get going toward a lead gen process that makes a difference? First, realize the promise of Account-Based Marketing. Starting here gives you the insights and actions necessary to establish a system and process based on the customer journey. That’s done through:
- Personas—Creating personas is a smart, strategic way to identify your true customers, what they want and how they want to be approached
- Define the Process—Whether, through an action marketing matrix or whatever tools and protocols are best for your specific needs, the process needs to be defined (and possibly created or re-created) and communicated to all team members. This ensures a healthy funnel, alignment around the process, and accountability through action and ownership.
- Clarify and Simplify the Roles—The ownership of each stage of the funnel needs to be clearly defined, and not made complicated.