The COVID-19 Case Investigator will be responsible for contacting North Carolina residents confirmed with COVID-19 infection to provide education regarding the recommendation to self-isolate, assess their ability to safely comply with the recommended control measures, and to elicit information on close contacts who need to be notified of their exposure. Although the COVID-19 case investigator will prioritize contacting and interviewing cases by phone, there will also be the need for case investigators to perform field visits to reach individuals who do not respond to electronic (phone/text/email) contact attempts.
• Follow the set protocol for contacting assigned newly diagnosed COVID-19 case patients and document all contact attempts and time frames in a timely manner.
• If unable to reach case patient after set number of required phone calls/texts/emails have been made, perform field visit if residential or work address is available.
• Assure appropriate donning/doffing of PPE whenever in-person patient interactions are required.
• Make sure all case patients are given the contact information for their local health department and the care resource coordinator, as applicable, covering their jurisdiction in case social needs arise during the isolation period.
• Maintain daily contact with Director/Manager and assigned local health department to receive assignments and make sure the needs of the local health departments are being met.
• Use a scripted template to guide the interview process and assure all required questions are asked, education given, and interaction is conducted with professionalism and empathy to encourage forthrightness.
• Explain the importance of adherence to control measures and the need for contact tracing to prevent disease transmission and keep communities healthy and ensure all follow up questions are answered.
• Complete data entry for case interview and elicited close contacts into the designated system immediately after obtaining. This will ensure the contact tracers can initiate the notification process of all close contacts as soon as possible.
• Must be able to travel within assigned county (Chatham, Orange or Durham).
• High school diploma, or equivalent required
• Previous experience in nursing, social work, or public health is preferred
• Ability to speak, read, and write English
• Access to a personal computer/laptop for data entry
• Ability and willingness to go into the field to locate and interview hard to reach case patients
• Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
• Preferred North Carolina resident for greater than one year, with familiarity with counties/cites/communities. Resident of assigned county is a PLUS.
• Technology requirements: PC with Windows 10, Antivirus Protection: Windows Defender and Windows Firewall; or Mac with Apple OS X 10.13, Antivirus Protection: Sophos
• Internet connection with minimum of 8 Megabits per second upload and download speed
• The ability to make calls from your computer. Headset will be provided.
• Maintain a valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle for work use.
• Maintain valid vehicle insurance on vehicle used for work
Qualifications Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to exhibit a professional and positive attitude and a good work ethic
• Ability to prioritize workload, set and meet deadlines
• Ability to follow directions given by assigned local health department and Director/Manager to ensure the needs of the program are being met.
• Exhibit excellent interpersonal skills required and ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse populations
• Ability to think critically and use good judgement in all decision making
• Fluency in languages other than English is a PLUS
• Ability to show empathy to distressed individuals
• Proficiency with computers
• The job environment is home based.
• Schedule will be up to 40 hours per week including some potential for weekend shifts. Some evening hours may be required.
• Some travel though the region and North Carolina may be required
• Routinely there may be some minor physical inconveniences or discomforts in the work setting, including sitting for moderate periods of time and repetitive wrist motion
• The job environment can be intense as high volume; repetitive work is an expectation.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or any other discriminatory factors.
Back to Careers